Taiwan Taipei Mission

Taiwan Taipei Mission

Monday, November 2, 2015

Monkeying Around

Family and Friends,
 
What a great week it has been once again. Happy Halloween! I hope everyone had a great, fun holiday! Lachlan and Alexa, you both looked awesome! Marissa, glad you had fun with all your friends at the house! Mom and dad said there was tons of people! What fun!!
As I reflect back on this week, Can I say, I am so grateful for the things I am learning on my mission. I remember before my mission, talking to returned missionaries they would always say how much they learned on their mission but could never fully explain what they learned...now I understand. Words cannot describe these experiences we have each day as missionaries. This work has blessed my life more than anything I could have ever imagined. It is not easy in any way BUT I am learning, growing, and loving every minute--even when I sometimes think I can't do any more.

I absolutely LOVE preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. It brings so much joy and happiness. This last week as we were teaching one of our investigators, he realized how much he needs to give up--mostly with the Word of Wisdom--if he wants to be baptized. I know giving up a lifestyle of drinking tea, smoking, drinking beer, and chewing binlang has been part of his life ever since he can remember but through this gospel and through him developing his faith in Jesus Christ and know everything and anything is possible!! This man loves to crack jokes and 'test' us. Funny story, this last week as we went to visit him, (he is the one that lives on top of the mountain in the 中正 Tribe) he brought out glasses and told us it was beer. I quickly told him, we don't drink. He then said, "this is what we do as Aborigines up here. People come to our house and we drink beer together." I started to get a bit nervous and said, "Well, we don't drink beer..." He played with us for a few minutes and then laughed and said, "I know you don't drink beer. It's Coke!" We smelt it and yes, it was Coke! As Sister Coleman and I were biking down the mountain, we were laughing about it and knew he was 'testing' us. This man has so much potential. He just has to change his entire life around. But, I know he will be willing.
Saturday night, we had our Branch Missionary Fireside. We strive to have as many investigators attend this fireside and in the last couple months, it has been really difficult to get investigators to attend. BUT, Saturday night, 王志文 came!! AND he brought his son, niece, and nephew! It was SO amazing! First, his son walked in and I turned to Sister Coleman and said, 王志文 IS HERE! We were SO excited!! We have been working really hard with 王志文. He is pretty much ready to be baptized BUT he can never come to church due to work--he drives a car for the mayor of a small Tribe. Little Tender mercies like these just make everything worth it! It was a great opportunity for our Branch President and a few other members to meet him and fellowship him!

Sister Coleman and I are working our very hardest to build up this area and find the prepared who are ready to receive the gospel. I have truly been converted on my mission. I know with out a doubt in my mind this work, the work of a missionary, could not be done without the help of our Heavenly Father. The Spirit is KEY in this work. I know my Savior lives and loves each and everyone of us. Jesus Christ IS our LIGHT. I know the words of the Song The Lord is my Light are true. We should never fear. He is always by our side. He knows us perfectly and is there to build us up and to strengthen us. The Lord is my LIGHT, the Lord is my STRENGTH!
Lastly, I LOVE the passages I was able to study this week in Personal Study. I am currently reading in Helaman about Nephi and Lehi. In Helaman 10, Nephi is walking back to his home, pondering the wickedness of the people and how hard he was trying to help them but wasn't able to help them realize their wickedness. A voice then came to Nephi saying in verses 4-5,

Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.
 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

Heavenly Father saw the unwearyingness of Nephi. Nephi was a super 認真 missionary and despite the fact he didn't see the results that he wanted to see, Heavenly Father blessed him because of his hard work and diligence. I know we can learn from the example of Nephi. No matter what we are doing in our lives currently, whether it be being a grandma or grandpa, mom or dad, friend, a school student, business worker, etc. when we are diligent, have a Christ centered life, and are honestly trying our best, Heavenly Father will bless us and we will be prosperous like promised in Mosiah 2:22. It doesn't matter the outcome, just that we are diligent! 
I love you all so very much! Thank you SO much for your example to me, your prayers in my behalf, etc! You are all so amazing! I hope you have a great week!!!
 
LOVE YOU!!!
Sister Haacke

LAST MONDAY, we were able to go see MONKEYS!!!!!!! It was the neatest thing ever!! It had signs everywhere to not feed the monkeys so we didn't. But many others who were there did, so we were able to watch them eat the bananas, carry their babies, jump from tree to tree, climb on the rocks--it was so neat!
  



 Yup. that was as close as i was willing to get. :)
  

Dinner with Liu Jie! Yes, I know love shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment