Taiwan Taipei Mission

Taiwan Taipei Mission

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Happiest 18 Months of My Life

MY DEAR FAMILY AND FRIENDS,

Well, to be honest, I don't really know how to start this email! My emotions are literally ALL over the place. Like literally, I don't even know how to explain but its crazy! Dying as a missionary is so different. I have loved every second of the last 18 months and 20 days. My life has changed forever because of this experience. I am so grateful for all that I have learned. Now, my time has come that in two days from now, I will be getting on a plane and coming home. I am excited but wayyyy more nervous! haha 

But....As for a run down of the last week and a half....literally some of the best days of my entire mission. Sister Wong and I worked our hearts out this week. 

It all started last Monday night where our 6 and 7 PM lessons were cancelled and we had some time to find. As we were street contacting, no one was wanting to talk to us. We went and stopped by a potential's work and she didn't really want to talk with us either, we then made a decision to walk down this darkened road. There was one lady on her phone just standing there. We went up and talked to her and she is a single mom of two young children. She has been looking for a Christian Church to start taking her kids to and we were the answer to her prayers she kept saying. We had the most powerful street lesson with her and set a baptismal date. Then literally as she was walking away, this man self contacted us and asked us if our church was in this area and wants to start coming when he doesn't have work on Sunday! Literally, the miracles flew in, that night we were also able to pray with some sweet sisters who will one day accept the gospel! 

Our investigator, Rachel (張瑞綺) is absolutely phenomenal and is progressing SO much! We finished teaching her all the commandments this week and she readily accepted all of them. As we have been able to teach her over these last three weeks or so, we have seen a HUGE change in her. She went from being a lady who was extremely depressed and flat out looking for happiness, who would never smile or laugh, to someone who is now much more excited, smiling, and laughing all the time with us! We have been able to spend a lot of time with her and she has also been able to help us with some projects. Rachel has literally become one of my best friends! I am so grateful I had this opportunity to meet her and help her come unto Christ. Our last lesson with her on Monday afternoon, she expressed to us how music has really played a huge part in her change. Right there, in the middle of the lesson, we pulled out some hymn books and I went over to play piano and we listened to I Believe in Christ. It invited the Spirit into the room SO strong. Like SO strong. Up until then, she had never been willing to set a baptismal date. She knew that was our purpose but she didn't want to set one until she knew for herself that the things we were teaching her were true. Well, after we listened to I Believe in Christ, we invited her to baptism and she set her own date for May 28 (Mom's birthday!!) Literally, I have never been so excited for someone to set a baptismal date. Rachel is so awesome and she could literally get baptized tonight if she wanted to but she wants to give herself just a little more time to become more familiar with the Scriptures and adjust more to the church schedule which is a little hard for her. I never knew how much love I could have for someone not in my family. I literally feel like Rachel is my older sister. I LOVE her so much! It has been so amazing to see how the gospel has changed her life already so much in just a little under a month. 

Zhou Min Yu: Sister Wong and I went on splits after church on Sunday to have a lesson with some of the investigators we had at church on Sunday. I taught Zhou JieMei. She is the mom of the two CRAZY boys. We taught her the Plan of Salvation. I also love Zhou JM to death! She is literally so amazing. What a blessing it is that she found the church. She desires so much to learn and to help her boys have successful lives. What a sacrifice she is doing for her boys. And let me tell you, her boys are crazy!!! Some of the most active, hyper, 調皮, boys ever. But I love  them!! Zhou JM will also be getting baptized the end of May just as she finished the lessons with the missionaries. 
Tang DX: He is a 21 year old, lock dancer, college student. As we sit down to meet with him Monday night, we were under the impression that he has yet to read any of the Book of Mormon.. Well, much to our surprise, he came in and had read the entire book of Ether. He said he randomly chose a book and decided to read it all (good thing he didn't chose Alma right??) haha He loved reading and he understands so much. He is majoring in History and I think that helps him really be able to understand the Scriptures. He has a very strong desire to be baptized. We discussed more about his work and how he can't start coming to church till the middle of May. He teaching a math class at a cram school. We set a baptismal date for June 18 (Dad's birthday!!) and he said he is certain he wants to be baptized then! AWWW MIRACLES!!

As I sat down in Sacrament Meeting this last Sunday, it hit me really hard that it was going to be my last three hour church in Chinese. WOW. Has time flown. I remember my very first back in TouFen and I couldn't understand like anything! Now, it has changed so much. Not only has the language barrier been broken down but I feel like throughout my mission, my love for attending church and the knowledge of the need to weekly partake of the Sacrament has become something so near and dear to my heart. I look forward to attending church. My testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ is stronger than ever. I know for a fact that Christ Atoned for you and me. He did it so we can be happy. Through the Atonement, Christ can fully understand our every feeling. He loves us. Through the atonement, we are able to repent of our sins and overcome death so that we can once again return to live with our Father in Heaven. 
On Sunday, us, the Elders and RuiCong each sang I am a Child of God/I Have a Savior in Sacrament Meeting and I was asked to bear my testimony. Wow. What a powerful song. I know we are all God's Children. HE LOVES US!


These last 18 Months have literally been the most happiest, joyful months of my entire life. I can honestly say my mission has changed me for the better for the rest of my life and into the eternities. I have been able to witness the lives of the Taiwanese change and I have also been able to watch my own life change. The mission has been filled with so many different experiences. It all hasn't been a nice country drive.  I've had to drive up and down hills and plow through mountains of rocks, but these experiences have changed me for the better. They have helped me become the person I have become today. 
I know with out a doubt that this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true and living church on the earth today. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith restored the church with its full Priesthood power so we can enjoy the blessings we receive through righteous living on the earth. I know through the power of God Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon. I know the Book of Mormon is true. It is Another Testament of Jesus Christ. I love the words of Joseph Smith, “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” I know with all my heart this is true. I treasure the words of the Book of Mormon. I know the Plan of Salvation is a perfect plan. I know we will one day be able to return and live in the Celestial Kingdom if all we do now is to continue developing our faith in Jesus Christ, repent daily, weekly renew our baptismal covenant by attending church and partaking of the Sacrament, keeping the commandments and ENDURING!
Being a full-time missionary for the Lord for me might be coming to a close. I am going to soon have to take of my name tag in which I have worn on my chest with pride for 18 months. But I will never not be a missionary. I will continue walk on the path to eternal life helping others on my way join me. Everything we do to obtain Eternal life is WORTH IT. 
The hardest thing for me I know is going to be getting on the plane Friday morning and flying home. My heart is literally here in Taiwan. I love the people here, the culture, and the atmosphere. I have treasured all the areas I have served in. I know Heavenly Father has truly sent me to be in all the areas that I needed to learn and bless the lives of the people who lived in those areas. I am grateful for all the companions I have had. They have also changed my life. 
I am closing a chapter of my life and opening the doors to a new one. It seems crazy to think about. But, I am grateful. I am eternally grateful.  

I am coming home with no regrets...except one...not flossing my teeth regularly...sorry Jeremy! :)
I LOVE YOU ALL. SEE YOU SOON!
Sister Haacke

I will be giving my Homecoming talk on April 24th at 1 PM. I hope to see you all there!
7940 N 35th W
IDAHO FALLS IDAHO 83402


 This morning, we got special permission to wake up early and go watch the sunrise. We woke up at 4:10 AM this morning to meet the rest of our district and a few members and investigators to sit and watch the sunrise together. What a beautiful world Heavenly Father has created for us.

  
 

 

 
 


 

 
 Zhou Min Yu and her boys.
 

 
 Li Xun's home (above and below).

 
  
 Tang DX
 
 Eating at May's home.
  
 Ward activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment